Its that time of the year, post-Easter and summer festivities, when we feel like we've overindulged a little and need to get back on track. Rather than jumping on a quick fix restrictive juice diet or eating plan try these simple steps for getting your body back into balance.
Extreme quick detox diets and plans are enticing as they offer these magical quick results in 3, 5 or more days. However, they create this cycle I like to call “detox - retox” in which all of your overindulging of sugar and alcohol can be fixed in a few days of drinking green juice and once that time is over the spiral continues. So what if you ate some extra chocolate or drank wine on the weekend??! Your body can handle this as long as you treat it with love and respect post this time rather than punishing it with restriction. Giving back to your body is a much better idea with these tips below:
- Add 1 extra cup veggies per meal. Vegetables contain fibre, antioxidants and nutrients such as B-vitamins, vitamin C, A, and magnesium that aid detoxification through the liver, kidneys, and digestive tract. Favourite nutrient powerhouse veggies include broccoli, Chinese cabbage, spinach, beetroot and sweet potato.
- Drink an additional 500ml of filtered water on top of your usual intake. Refined sugar and carbohydrates, alcohol and processed foods are dehydrating to the body. Increase fluid intake to rehydrate and aid elimination.
- Get an extra hour sleep every night for the week. Sleep is the time when the body restores, repairs and detoxifies. Getting some extra zzz's in for the week will help you repair from overindulgence
- Swap your second coffee or black tea for a herbal tea. This will add to your water intake, avoid the dehydrating effects of coffee and tea, and tea blends such as nettle, ginger, and dandelion root or leaf aid in detoxification.
- Make sure to exercise- our skin is another elimination channel and getting a sweat on helps support this.
- Add turmeric, garlic and rosemary to your food. This herbs all have liver detoxification and antioxidant properties.
- If you feel like you still need extra support- a B-vitamin Complex, Vitamin C, St Marys Thistle and Globe artichoke can be helpful herbal and nutritional supplements for detoxification.
If you feel like your body needs some extra attention and personalised care, Tess is available for individual naturopathic and nutritional consultation in person or via Skype. Click here to book or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions before making your appointment
Yours in wellness,